Okra and Sweet Potato Curry
- Thaw out frozen packet of cut okra or can cut up fresh okra -2.5 cups/300g
- Dice 1/2 an onion
- Dice up 2 garlics
- Steam one sweet potato (cut up in chunks) – depending on your steamer – can steam within 15-20 mins
- Heat up large saucepan and add onion and garlic and 1-2 Tblspns of water
- Amount of spices can be varied according to taste:
a) 1 tspn of turmeric
b) 1/2-3/4 tspn of cumin
c) 1 tspn of curry powder
d) 1 tspn of thyme
e) 1/2 tspn of garam masala (optional)
f) 1/4 to 1/2 tspn of salt (optional)
- Add 3-4 Tblspns of tomato paste from jar
- Stir it all up and then add okra. Once okra is cooked, add steamed sweet potato and stir.
- Add 1/4 to 1/2 can of reduced fat coconut milk or other plant based milk.
- Add ground pepper and serve with brown rice or quinoa.
Oats: Makes for 1
1 -2 cups of rolled oats/ steel cut oats
1 Tblspn of ground flaxmeal
1-2 tspns of cinnamon
1 very ripe banana
1/2 to 1 cup of almond milk or plant based milk depending on how creamy you like it
1/2 cup of hot water
1/2 to 1 cup of mixed berries
2 Tblspn of pomegranate seeds (optional)
1/2- 1 kiwi fruit (optional)
Other options: pumpkin seeds, chopped up nuts (handful -eg almonds, walnuts)
- Heat rolled oats in saucepan (dry) for 1-2 minutes with ground flaxmeal and cinnamon.
- When you get a slight aroma, add the hot water to start cooking the oats – may need to add a few more Tblspns if needed to cook the oats.
- Once the oats are almost cooked, add banana. For extra sweetness add another banana. Add almond milk or other plant based milk and stir until creamy.
- Serve warm with berries and additional fruits/pomegranate seeds